El Bandito----Autogyro

El Bandito----Autogyro

Postby tigger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Still have not got back to my Big Stik but have found myself heading off on another Model that may have some appeal to anyone wanting to go slow and almost vertical. I googled the RCM&E plans service but they had folded so found a Shop named Coolwind that was selling some of Rich Harris's designs and bought the El Bandito plan and all the associated fibre glass parts.So far it's proving to be expensive as my building stock was swallowed up on Big Stik but have made a start so will gradually post up what i have achieved so far.
Tigger
Attachments
el_bandito_1x.jpg
Not sure that's me or not.
tigger

Re: El Bandito----Autogyro

Postby tigger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Here is some of the 3mm ply pieces i have cut and glued [ epoxy ] to get rolling with. The little cradel affair is the top of the battery box and gets covered in 3mm balsa.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 001.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Okay the next photo shows the formers glued to the belly skin which is 3mm ply also. The plan suggested gluing the formers to the
balsa side skin but i reckon i can keep thing more vertical and true this way. I tacked up with CA and then used epoxy, also had the mast in place.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 005.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Next up was the u/carriage mount. The plan calls for a wire u/c mounted to the firewall but one of Rich's later designs shows an alloy blade type which is simpler to make. I used some 3mm 2024 alloy sheet.The mount was made up of 1/4 x 1/2 spruce sticks epoxied to the floor and the battery tray is waiting fitting.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 011.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Okay i now have the tray in place complete with battery and the battery cover held in with a clamp. Also in place is the rudder servo, 9gram, and will run a push rod through the rear fuse.The two larger servos are for the rotor head fore and aft movement and the side to side, roll.These will be mounted to the mast. The ESC will live up front with the bat and the RX will go in the
rudder servo area.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 017.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Just a quick mock up to show the wide stance of the U/C and a side skin to give you an idea of the fuse length.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 019.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi there, now the mast is held in by two bolts through the belly skin and into the mast. This is a bonus as it allows the mast to be removed with the servos and control rods. The plan wanted you to use 6mm ply with the bolts glued in place and sandwiched between the ply sides of the mast, next photo will show this.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 025.jpg
quite complicated and once they are in there no chance of getting them out.
tigger

Postby tigger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm

This is the way i have gone about achieving the mast attachment. I have used 18mm Dowel as a barrell nut and drilled and taped them to suit the bolt. I have now gone a step further and will be using plastic wing bolts to secure the mast.
See what you think.
Tigger
Attachments
gyro 022.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:13 pm

A shot showing wing bolts and servo mounting hole.I have modified the plan as well to show new nuts. The barrell nuts now pull on the ply rather than the balsa and i won't bother gluing them in for a start at least.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
gyro 024.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi there, thought i would make up the first part of the rotor head assy so here is the sketch from the plan showing what is needed. All the laminates i have cut from some 2mm Birch ply and now it's just a matter of gluing them all together. They do tend to move around once the epoxy is applied so in hind sight i should have drilled two aligning holes for a couple of T pins.Do remember to give all parts a light sanding if they have been around longer than a few days.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
gyro 027.jpg
tigger

Next

Return to Build Threads