affordable EP Glider

affordable EP Glider

Postby tigger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 am

Just finished a kit i bought from China, comes under the name of Red Swan and Cost around us$30.00 plus freight.The design is by a chap called Josef Hlavka from the Czech Republic so it may well be a good little flyer.The plans are almost non existing but there is some files @ HK that help a lot.I found the build quality good. I was building an Orion from the UK at the same time and found this little cheapo was every thing as good. I have gone along with the recomended prop size,8x6 and the motor is 168 watts 1020kv running on either a 2 0r 3s lipo, wattage will vary, and weight so far without the ailerons is around 500 grams, 17.5 oz's. Must say when it arrived i was a little disapointed but with it almost ready to go i have certainly warmed to this little glider.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
100_8020.jpg
tigger

Re: affordable EP Glider

Postby tigger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi there, well a final update on CZ-47 [AKA Red Swan]. Thought a name related to the Czech designer was better than a swan.
I have made and fitted ailerons and also have battery,ESC and RX located and as you can see from pic the weight and balance is also done. Final weight comes in at 236g/19 oz's which is just heavy enough i think for a 47" span but my Orion at 55" span and 20 oz's flys well so maybe i'm in with a chance, hope so.
I had wondered if i should have posted this in the build section but after a look at the awesome work in there i thought soaring is more the place for a finished Glider.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
cz 47 003.jpg
tigger

Postby Dale » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Looks good! All the best for the flying.
Hell, we don't mind, post it anywhere, it's good that there is some new action coming to this forum.
Dale

Postby tigger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Dale and i'm with you on using the forum to help make it work for all of us.
I joined another forum a while back { r/c gliding & parkflying nz } and it fell over quite quickly because of, i think a lack of new posts to help keep the momentum going. This was one reason that made me try a post or two after browsing and not seeing something new for a while. I must say i would rather browse than post but i'm finding posting simple bits and pieces is fun too.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:19 am

test flight,
A little windy yesterday but i made room in orions box for the CZ and headed off to the Jacobstown strip at Gore. House of balsa 2x4 was sulking so he came too. Launched CZ a few times without power and adjusted the trim to get a good glide. Next was another throw and added some power and a nice easy climb and the CZ was tracking well into the now blustery conditions so kept straight ahead and did some gentle s type turns and landed out. I had 3 flights like this and will now wait for a calmer day for an extended flight but more than happy at this point. I'm using an 8x6 prop and what struck me was the oh so gentle climb out, no wanting to go vertical with any throttle increase. Quite unlike the Orion that had given me some grief last month. The Orion has a 9x5 on it and i will now try it with the 8x5.
Really, i was unimpressed with the pull of the prop/motor on the CZ before i flew it and was wondering if i had got the spec's wrong but now really happy with the performance so far. Next up was the 2x4 and bungee and it relished a good breeze under it's wings so all in all a good afternoon. After starting out flying some time ago with 2x4's enormous wing section i'm coming to love the thinner section of the Orion and CZ and feel they will handle the wind probably better than the larger section,as they seem to penetrate better and to think i use to call them Weasel Wee's Wings,skinny as !!
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
100_8067.jpg
tigger

Return to Soaring